Resident workers - Qualifications
51.4% of the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) in the Gunnedah Shire have qualifications, compared to 65.7% for Public Administration and Safety.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the Gunnedah Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||5||2.7||16.7||3||1.2||18.7||+2||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||10||5.5||18.0||10||4.0||14.3||0||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||7||3.8||1.3||5||2.0||2.0||+2||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||59||32.2||28.3||65||26.1||25.1||-6||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||13||7.1||1.3||6||2.4||1.2||+7||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||9||4.9||3.4||13||5.2||2.4||-4||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 compared to Public Administration and Safety shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 51.4% of the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) held educational qualifications, and 43.7% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 30.9% respectively for Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) of the Gunnedah Shire and Public Administration and Safety were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) with No qualifications (43.7% compared to 30.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) with Certificate Level, nfds (7.1% compared to 1.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) with Bachelor or Higher degrees (2.7% compared to 16.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (5.5% compared to 18.0%)
The largest change in the qualifications held by the resident workers (Transport, Postal and Warehousing) in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 was:
- No qualifications (-67 people )