Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Gunnedah Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income , Occupations and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Gunnedah Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Information Media and Telecommunications||Number||%||Information Media and Telecommunications||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||9||12.9||21.7||6||9.5||11.1||+3|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||4||5.7||13.0||13||20.6||11.1||-9|
|Certificate I and II Level||4||5.7||0||0||0||0||+4|
|Certificate III & IV Level||18||25.7||17.4||9||14.3||29.6||+9|
|Certificate Level, nfd||3||4.3||0||0||0||11.1||+3|
|Inadequately described or not stated||5||7.1||0||7||11.1||0||-2|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) in Gunnedah Shire in 2016 compared to Information Media and Telecommunications shows that there was a higher proportion of resident holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of males with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 54.3% of the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) held educational qualifications, and 38.6% had no qualifications, compared with 52.2% and 47.8% respectively for Information Media and Telecommunications.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) of Gunnedah Shire and (Information Media and Telecommunications) were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) with No qualification (38.6% compared to 47.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) with Bachelor or Higher degree (12.9% compared to 21.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) with Certificate III & IV Level (25.7% compared to 17.4%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) in Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Level (+9 persons)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (-9 persons)
- Certificate I and II Level (+4 persons)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3 persons)