Resident workers - Method of travel to work - Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services
Within the Gunnedah Shire, there is a similar proportion of resident Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workers using public transport to get to work than the Transport, Postal and Warehousing workforce.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with resident place of work for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Transport, Postal and Warehousing%||Number||%||Transport, Postal and Warehousing%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||53||89.8||65.1||43||75.4||62.1||+10|
|Car, as passenger||0||0||2.1||4||7.0||2.4||-4|
|Other - multiple methods||0||0||0||0||0||1.6||--|
|Worked at home||0||0||4.8||0||0||5.5||--|
|Did not go to work||6||10.2||9.0||7||12.3||3.6||-1|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 0 resident workers in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the Gunnedah Shire, compared with 53 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire shows that 0% used public transport, while 89.8% used a private vehicle, compared with 0% and 76.2% respectively in Transport, Postal and Warehousing within the Gunnedah Shire.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire and the Transport, Postal and Warehousing workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers who travelled by car, as driver (89.8% compared to 65.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by truck (0% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who worked at home (0% compared to 4.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers who travelled by not stated (0% compared to 3.7%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+10 resident workers)
- Car, as passenger (-4 resident workers)
- Walked only (-3 resident workers)
- Did not go to work (-1 resident workers)