Resident workers - Method of travel to work
The resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire have a higher proportion of people using public transport to get to work than Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work and for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services %||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services %||2011 to 2016|
|Car, as driver||3,503||65.2||89.8||3,246||62.1||75.4||+257||2001|
|Car, as passenger||342||6.4||0.0||361||6.9||7.0||-19||2002|
|Other - multiple methods||68||1.3||0.0||78||1.5||0.0||-10||2017|
|Worked at home||422||7.8||0.0||474||9.1||0.0||-52||2019|
|Did not go to work||502||9.3||10.2||487||9.3||12.3||+15||2020|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
In 2016, there were 113 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Gunnedah Shire, compared with 3,946 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire shows that 2.1% used public transport, while 73.4% used a private vehicle, compared with 0.0% and 89.8% respectively in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers of the Gunnedah Shire and Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Worked at home (7.8% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Car, as passenger (6.4% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Walked only (3.9% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Car, as driver (65.2% compared to 89.8%)
The largest changes in the method of travel of work of the resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+257 people)
- Bus (+88 people)
- Walked only (-63 people)
- Worked at home (-52 people)