Resident workers - Method of travel to work
The resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire have a similar proportion of people using public transport to get to work as Public Administration and Safety.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work and for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety %||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety %||2011 to 2016|
|Car, as driver||53||89.8||78.7||43||75.4||76.5||+10||2001|
|Car, as passenger||0||0.0||1.2||4||7.0||4.7||-4||2002|
|Other - multiple methods||0||0.0||2.8||0||0.0||0.0||0||2017|
|Worked at home||0||0.0||1.6||0||0.0||0.0||0||2019|
|Did not go to work||6||10.2||8.8||7||12.3||8.6||-1||2020|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
In 2016, there were 0 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in Gunnedah Shire, compared with 53 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire shows that 0.0% used public transport, while 89.8% used a private vehicle, compared with 0.0% and 81.1% respectively in Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) of the Gunnedah Shire and Public Administration and Safety were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) travelled to work by Car, as driver (89.8% compared to 78.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) travelled to work by Walked only (0.0% compared to 3.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) travelled to work by Other - multiple methods (0.0% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) travelled to work by Taxi/Other (0.0% compared to 2.4%)
The largest changes in the method of travel of work of the resident workers (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+10 people)
- Car, as passenger (-4 people)
- Walked only (-3 people)
- Did not go to work (-1 people)