In the Gunnedah Shire, the Retail Trade workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Gunnedah Shire - Retail Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||14||3.1||17.8||18||3.5||13.3||-4|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||27||6.1||8.7||20||3.8||7.6||+7|
|Certificate I and II Level||13||2.9||1.9||20||3.8||2.1||-7|
|Certificate III & IV Level||92||20.7||14.8||84||16.2||14.3||+8|
|Certificate Level, nfd||8||1.8||2.3||12||2.3||1.9||-4|
|Inadequately described or not stated||17||3.8||2.6||16||3.1||4.5||+1|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 34.6% of the workers (Retail Trade) who held educational qualifications, and 61.6% had no qualifications, compared with 45.4% and 52.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Retail Trade) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with Bachelor or Higher degree (3.1% compared to 17.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with No qualification (61.6% compared to 52.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with Certificate III & IV Level (20.7% compared to 14.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Retail Trade) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (6.1% compared to 8.7%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Retail Trade workforce in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-76 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+8 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+7 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (-7 local workers)