In the Gunnedah Shire, the Construction workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Manufacturing.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Gunnedah Shire - Construction||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Manufacturing||Number||%||Manufacturing||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||7||3.0||6.3||9||4.5||4.0||-2|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||10||4.2||3.5||7||3.5||3.7||+3|
|Certificate I and II Level||5||2.1||1.2||0||0||2.9||+5|
|Certificate III & IV Level||124||52.3||29.8||90||45.5||29.1||+34|
|Certificate Level, nfd||8||3.4||3.5||3||1.5||2.0||+5|
|Inadequately described or not stated||11||4.6||5.9||11||5.6||5.2||--|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 compared to Manufacturing shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 65.0% of the workers (Construction) who held educational qualifications, and 30.4% had no qualifications, compared with 44.3% and 49.8% respectively for Manufacturing.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Construction) of the Gunnedah Shire and Manufacturing were:
- A larger percentage of local workers (Construction) with Certificate III & IV Level (52.3% compared to 29.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Construction) with No qualification (30.4% compared to 49.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Construction) with Bachelor or Higher degree (3.0% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Construction) with Inadequately described or not stated (4.6% compared to 5.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Construction workforce in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Level (+34 local workers)
- No qualification (-6 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (+5 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+5 local workers)