In the Gunnedah Shire, the Construction workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Gunnedah Shire - Construction||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||7||3.0||11.5||9||4.5||9.2||-2|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||10||4.2||7.3||7||3.5||6.4||+3|
|Certificate I and II Level||5||2.1||0.8||0||0||0.8||+5|
|Certificate III & IV Level||124||52.3||44.5||90||45.5||45.5||+34|
|Certificate Level, nfd||8||3.4||1.7||3||1.5||1.2||+5|
|Inadequately described or not stated||11||4.6||2.6||11||5.6||3.9||--|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 65.0% of the workers (Construction) who held educational qualifications, and 30.4% had no qualifications, compared with 65.8% and 31.7% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce (Construction) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Construction) with Bachelor or Higher degree (3.0% compared to 11.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Construction) with Certificate III & IV Level (52.3% compared to 44.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers (Construction) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (4.2% compared to 7.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers (Construction) with Inadequately described or not stated (4.6% compared to 2.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the Construction workforce in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Certificate III & IV Level (+34 local workers)
- No qualification (-6 local workers)
- Certificate I and II Level (+5 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+5 local workers)