Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the Gunnedah Shire, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Gunnedah Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Gunnedah Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
Please note – The 2016 Census used a new methodology to “impute” a work location to people who didn’t state their workplace address. As a result, 2016 and 2011 place of work data are not normally comparable. To allow comparison between 2011 and 2016, .id has sourced a 2011 dataset from the ABS which was experimentally imputed using the same methodology. To provide this detail, Gunnedah Shire in 2011 had to be constructed from a best fit of Work Destination Zones (DZNs). While it may not be an exact match to the LGA or region boundary, it is considered close enough to allow some comparison. Users should treat this time series data with caution, however, and not compare directly with 2011 data from any other source.
|Local workers occupations|
|Gunnedah Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services %||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services %||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||607||12.5||4.2||576||11.9||5.1||+31||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||491||10.1||4.2||456||9.4||0.0||+35||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||530||10.9||22.2||542||11.2||27.1||-12||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||511||10.5||6.9||475||9.8||0.0||+36||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||88||1.8||4.2||79||1.6||0.0||+9||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the workforce in Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (899 local workers or 18.5%)
- Professionals (656 local workers or 13.5%)
- Labourers (643 local workers or 13.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,198 people in total or 45.2% of the local workers .
In comparison, the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce within Gunnedah Shire employed 5.6% as Managers; 4.2% as Professionals; and 9.7% as Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the Gunnedah Shire and the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (18.5% compared to 5.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (13.5% compared to 4.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (9.0% compared to 38.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.9% compared to 22.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the Gunnedah Shire workforce between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Managers (-87 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+36 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+35 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+31 local workers)