In the Gunnedah Shire, 18.5% of workers were Managers, compared to 38.9% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the Gunnedah Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the Gunnedah Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Gunnedah Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||607||12.5||4.2||576||11.9||5.1||+31|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||491||10.1||4.2||456||9.4||0||+35|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||530||10.9||22.2||542||11.2||27.1||-12|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||511||10.5||6.9||475||9.8||0||+36|
|Inadequately described or not stated||88||1.8||4.2||79||1.6||0||+9|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (899 local workers or 18.5%)
- Professionals (656 local workers or 13.5%)
- Labourers (643 local workers or 13.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,198 people in total or 45.2% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services workforce in the Gunnedah Shire employed 5.6% as Managers; 4.2% as Professionals and 9.7% as Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the Gunnedah Shire and Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (9.0% compared to 38.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (18.5% compared to 5.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.9% compared to 22.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (13.5% compared to 4.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Managers (-87 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+36 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+35 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+31 local workers)