Local workers - Occupations - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
Within the Gunnedah Shire, the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to New South Wales.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local worers in Gunnedah Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Gunnedah Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note: Currently only 2016 data are available for work destination. 2011 data are not comparable due to a change in methodology in 2016 which “imputed” a work destination to those workers who didn’t state their work destination. This means comparisons with earlier years should not be made. .id are currently sourcing data collected under the same methodology in 2011 which will be added to this page at a later date. For a detailed case study of this issue please visit our blog post.
|Local workers occupations|
|Gunnedah Shire - Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||28||14.7||7.8||0||--||--||+28||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||55||28.8||17.9||0||--||--||+55||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||--||--||--||--||--||--||--||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||3||1.6||0.9||0||--||--||+3||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services in Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (84 local workers or 44.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (55 local workers or 28.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (28 local workers or 14.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 167 people in total or 87.4% of the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services local workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 56.4% as Professionals; 17.9% as Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 7.8% as Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services in the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (28.8% compared to 17.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (14.7% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (44.0% compared to 56.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (3.7% compared to 13.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Professionals (+84 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+55 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+28 local workers)
- Labourers (+8 local workers)