43.1% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Hilltops Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Hilltops Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Hilltops Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hilltops Council area - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||NSW%||Number||%||NSW%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||879||11.6||10.8||882||11.7||10.4||-3|
|16 hours - 24 hours||758||10.0||10.4||700||9.3||9.7||+58|
|25 hours - 34 hours||910||12.0||10.5||830||11.0||9.8||+80|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,290||17.1||19.1||1,150||15.3||18.2||+140|
|41 hours - 48 hours||644||8.5||9.1||706||9.4||10.0||-62|
|49 hours or more||1,438||19.0||14.9||1,566||20.8||16.4||-128|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Hilltops Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to NSW shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for NSW.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Hilltops Council area and NSW were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.0% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.1% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.6% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (19.0% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Hilltops Council area decreased by 65 people (-1.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Hilltops Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+140 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-128 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+80 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-62 persons)