Hilltops Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
43.1% of the resident workers in the Hilltops Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.1% in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Hilltops Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Hilltops Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hilltops Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||879||11.6||14.3||882||11.7||11.5||-3||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||758||10.0||12.9||700||9.3||9.8||+58||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||910||12.0||15.7||830||11.0||19.7||+80||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||1,290||17.1||20.0||1,150||15.3||14.8||+140||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||644||8.5||5.7||706||9.4||14.8||-62||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,438||19.0||22.9||1,566||20.8||24.6||-128||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Hilltops Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.9% and 57.1% respectively for Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Hilltops Council area and Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.6% compared to 8.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (3.6% compared to 0.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (19.0% compared to 22.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.0% compared to 15.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Hilltops Council area decreased by 65 people (1.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Hilltops Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+140 people)
- 49 hours or more (-128 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+80 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-62 people)