Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of the Hilltops Council area's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Hilltops Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Hilltops Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Hilltops Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Hilltops Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||NSW||Number||%||NSW||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,568||20.7||2.1||1,591||20.0||2.1||-23|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||75||1.0||0.9||77||1.0||1.0||-2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||424||5.6||7.1||423||5.3||6.3||+1|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||322||4.3||4.7||311||3.9||4.6||+11|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||49||0.6||2.2||25||0.3||2.2||+24|
|Financial and Insurance Services||142||1.9||4.9||134||1.7||4.8||+8|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||71||0.9||1.8||63||0.8||1.5||+8|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||231||3.1||8.1||211||2.6||7.4||+20|
|Administrative and Support Services||188||2.5||3.5||152||1.9||3.1||+36|
|Public Administration and Safety||366||4.8||6.0||376||4.7||5.8||-10|
|Education and Training||552||7.3||8.4||559||7.0||7.5||-7|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||823||10.9||12.5||802||10.1||10.9||+21|
|Arts and Recreation Services||57||0.8||1.5||47||0.6||1.4||+10|
|Industry not classified||342||4.5||4.7||201||2.5||2.3||+141|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Hilltops Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1,568 people or 20.7%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (823 people or 10.9%)
- Retail Trade (822 people or 10.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 3,213 people in total or 42.5% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, NSW employed 2.1% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Hilltops Council area and NSW were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (20.7% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.1% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.9% compared to 4.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (10.9% compared to 12.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Hilltops Council area were for those employed in:
- Construction (+156 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+141 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-126 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-117 resident workforce)