Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Hobsons Bay City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Hobsons Bay City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Hobsons Bay City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Hobsons Bay City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||1,051||2.5||2.4||928||2.4||2.2||+123|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||4,661||11.1||10.1||4,597||11.7||10.4||+64|
|Architecture and Building||1,830||4.4||4.6||1,496||3.8||4.2||+334|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||372||0.9||1.6||333||0.8||1.5||+39|
|Management and Commerce||6,986||16.6||15.0||5,616||14.2||13.3||+1,370|
|Society and Culture||3,714||8.8||8.9||2,968||7.5||7.7||+746|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,351||3.2||3.6||1,344||3.4||3.5||+7|
|Mixed Field Programmes||31||0.1||0.1||19||0.0||0.0||+12|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,197||2.9||2.9||1,645||4.2||3.8||-448|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Hobsons Bay City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (6,986 people or 16.6%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (4,661 people or 11.1%)
- Society and Culture (3,714 people or 8.8%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 15,361 people in total or 36.6% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 15.0% in Management and Commerce; 10.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 8.9% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Hobsons Bay City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (16.6% compared to 15.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (6.3% compared to 7.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (11.1% compared to 10.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (0.9% compared to 1.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Hobsons Bay City increased by 2,543 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Hobsons Bay City was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,370 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+746 resident workers)
- Health (+584 resident workers)
- Education (+483 resident workers)