Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Hobsons Bay City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||8,647||24.7||33.3||7,165||20.1||28.6||+1,482|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||4,065||11.6||11.5||3,450||9.7||10.4||+615|
|Certificate I and II Level||309||0.9||1.0||369||1.0||1.1||-60|
|Certificate III & IV Level||7,549||21.6||18.1||7,639||21.4||17.9||-90|
|Certificate Level, nfd||682||1.9||1.8||546||1.5||1.5||+136|
|Inadequately described or not stated||960||2.7||2.8||1,621||4.5||4.0||-661|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Hobsons Bay City in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 36.5% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Hobsons Bay City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (24.7% compared to 33.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (36.5% compared to 31.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (21.6% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate Level, nfd (1.9% compared to 1.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Hobsons Bay City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-2,075 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,482 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+615 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+136 local workers)