46.3% of the resident workers (All industries) in Hornsby Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Hornsby Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Hornsby Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hornsby Shire Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,487||12.0||10.8||8,250||11.9||10.4||+237|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,554||10.7||10.4||7,189||10.4||9.7||+365|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,848||9.7||10.5||6,495||9.4||9.8||+353|
|35 hours - 39 hours||12,147||17.2||19.1||10,722||15.5||18.2||+1,425|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,678||9.4||9.1||7,067||10.2||10.0||-389|
|49 hours or more||10,313||14.6||14.9||11,514||16.7||16.4||-1,201|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Hornsby Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.2% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Hornsby Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.0% compared to 10.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.7% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.2% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.3% compared to 20.0%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Hornsby Shire increased by 1216 people (2.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Hornsby Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,425 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,381 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-1,201 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-389 persons)