Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Hornsby Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||6,698||9.0||11.9||6,927||9.8||12.7||-229|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,350||8.5||10.6||6,249||8.8||10.4||+101|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||10,286||13.8||13.0||10,363||14.6||13.8||-77|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,836||2.5||6.0||1,751||2.5||6.1||+85|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,061||1.4||1.9||1,024||1.4||1.8||+37|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Hornsby Shire in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (27,084 people or 36.2%)
- Managers (12,708 people or 17.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (10,286 people or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 50,078 people in total or 66.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 25.8% in Professionals; 14.6% in Managers and 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Hornsby Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (36.2% compared to 25.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (2.5% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (4.9% compared to 8.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.0% compared to 11.9%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Hornsby Shire increased by 4,019 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in Hornsby Shire were those employed as:
- Professionals (+3,211 persons)
- Managers (+1,686 persons)
- Sales Workers (-682 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-229 persons)