In Hornsby Shire, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Hornsby Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||14,811||35.0||32.6||12,260||30.4||27.9||+2,551|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||4,986||11.8||11.1||4,690||11.6||10.5||+296|
|Certificate I and II Level||431||1.0||1.2||500||1.2||1.4||-69|
|Certificate III & IV Level||7,065||16.7||18.7||6,802||16.9||18.8||+263|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,049||2.5||2.3||834||2.1||1.9||+215|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,165||2.8||2.9||1,745||4.3||4.5||-580|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Hornsby Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 67.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 30.2% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Hornsby Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (35.0% compared to 32.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (16.7% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (30.2% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.8% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Hornsby Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+2,551 local workers)
- No qualification (-747 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+296 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+263 local workers)