Inner West Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Professional, Scientific and Technical Services employs more of the Inner West Council area’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Inner West Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Inner West Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Inner West Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Inner West Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||166||0.2||2.1||71||0.1||2.2||+95||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||585||0.6||0.9||576||0.6||1.1||+9||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||6,887||6.9||7.1||5,791||6.3||6.7||+1,096||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||3,305||3.3||4.7||3,400||3.7||4.9||-95||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||5,373||5.4||2.2||5,330||5.8||2.3||+43||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||7,364||7.4||4.9||7,100||7.7||5.0||+264||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,812||1.8||1.8||1,596||1.7||1.6||+216||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||14,040||14.1||8.1||12,482||13.5||7.9||+1,558||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,580||3.6||3.5||3,586||3.9||3.3||-6||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||6,328||6.4||6.0||5,870||6.3||6.1||+458||39000||P|
|Education and Training||10,457||10.5||8.4||9,421||10.2||7.9||+1,036||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||11,020||11.1||12.5||10,110||10.9||11.6||+910||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||2,976||3.0||1.5||2,562||2.8||1.5||+414||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||3,918||3.9||4.7||1,965||2.1||2.5||+1,953||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Inner West Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (14,040 people or 14.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (11,020 people or 11.1%)
- Education and Training (10,457 people or 10.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 35,517 people in total or 35.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.1% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; and 8.4% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Inner West Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (14.1% compared to 8.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Information Media and Telecommunications (5.4% compared to 2.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (7.4% compared to 4.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (5.1% compared to 8.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Inner West Council area were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+1,953 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,558 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-1,181 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-1,166 resident workforce)