There are more resident workers (All industries) Technicians and Trades Workers in the City of Ipswich than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Ipswich's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Ipswich||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||12,704||15.1||14.3||12,099||16.2||14.9||+605|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||10,749||12.8||11.3||8,443||11.3||10.0||+2,306|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||12,288||14.6||13.6||11,707||15.6||14.7||+581|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||8,382||9.9||6.9||7,390||9.9||7.3||+992|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,527||1.8||1.6||1,512||2.0||1.8||+15|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Ipswich in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (12,704 people or 15.1%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (12,288 people or 14.6%)
- Professionals (12,253 people or 14.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 37,245 people in total or 44.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 13.6% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 19.8% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Ipswich and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (14.5% compared to 19.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (9.0% compared to 12.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (9.9% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (12.6% compared to 10.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Ipswich increased by 9,463 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Ipswich were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+2,306 persons)
- Professionals (+2,054 persons)
- Sales Workers (+1,099 persons)
- Managers (+1,006 persons)