In the City of Ipswich, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Queensland.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Ipswich - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||13,465||21.6||25.1||10,041||17.9||21.5||+3,424|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||6,728||10.8||10.9||4,855||8.7||9.3||+1,873|
|Certificate I and II Level||963||1.5||1.3||1,034||1.8||1.5||-71|
|Certificate III & IV Level||14,888||23.9||23.0||12,673||22.6||21.6||+2,215|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,337||2.1||2.0||972||1.7||1.7||+365|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,648||2.6||2.7||2,154||3.8||3.8||-506|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Ipswich in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 37.4% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Ipswich and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (21.6% compared to 25.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (37.4% compared to 35.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.9% compared to 23.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (1.5% compared to 1.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Ipswich between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,424 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,215 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,873 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,055 local workers)