City of Joondalup
Resident workers - Hours worked
42.7% of the resident workers in the City of Joondalup work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.6% in Western Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Joondalup's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Joondalup depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Joondalup||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||10,784||13.7||11.9||10,500||12.6||10.8||+284||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,820||11.2||9.9||8,673||10.4||9.2||+147||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,845||11.2||10.7||8,476||10.2||9.5||+369||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||12,792||16.2||17.2||12,866||15.5||15.8||-74||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,260||9.2||9.5||8,867||10.7||10.9||-1,607||22007|
|49 hours or more||11,466||14.5||17.3||13,349||16.1||19.6||-1,883||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Joondalup's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.7% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Joondalup and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.7% compared to 11.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.2% compared to 9.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.9% compared to 17.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.5% compared to 17.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Joondalup decreased by 3,855 people (7.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Joondalup between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,883 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-1,607 people)
- None (-805 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+369 people)