Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Joondalup residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Joondalup, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Joondalup are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Joondalup - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||357||0.4||2.3||375||0.5||2.5||-18|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,003||1.2||1.2||912||1.2||1.2||+91|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,526||5.4||6.5||4,172||5.3||6.4||+354|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,450||2.9||4.5||2,319||2.9||4.6||+131|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||826||1.0||0.8||1,031||1.3||1.0||-205|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,724||3.3||2.2||2,680||3.4||2.4||+44|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,264||1.5||1.4||1,381||1.7||1.7||-117|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||7,058||8.4||6.9||6,033||7.6||6.4||+1,025|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,409||2.9||3.1||2,510||3.2||3.3||-101|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,377||6.4||5.9||5,179||6.6||6.2||+198|
|Education and Training||9,210||11.0||8.8||8,648||11.0||8.7||+562|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||11,392||13.6||13.6||9,740||12.3||11.7||+1,652|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,500||1.8||1.6||1,353||1.7||1.6||+147|
|Industry not classified||3,324||4.0||4.6||3,264||4.1||4.6||+60|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Joondalup in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (11,392 people or 13.6%)
- Construction (9,658 people or 11.5%)
- Education and Training (9,210 people or 11.0%)
In combination these three industries employed 30,260 people in total or 36.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 13.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.8% in Construction and 8.8% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Joondalup and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.5% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (11.0% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.4% compared to 2.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (2.9% compared to 4.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Joondalup were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,652 resident workforce)
- Mining (+1,513 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,025 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-676 resident workforce)