City of Joondalup
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the City of Joondalup’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Joondalup residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Joondalup, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Joondalup are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Joondalup||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Greater Perth%||Number||%||Greater Perth%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||375||0.5||0.8||261||0.3||0.6||+114||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||912||1.2||1.1||952||1.1||1.1||-40||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,172||5.3||6.5||4,312||5.2||5.8||-140||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,319||2.9||4.6||2,424||2.9||4.4||-105||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,031||1.3||1.1||1,242||1.5||1.2||-211||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,680||3.4||2.7||2,988||3.6||2.9||-308||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,381||1.7||1.8||1,492||1.8||1.8||-111||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||6,033||7.6||7.2||7,164||8.6||8.3||-1,131||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,510||3.2||3.3||2,744||3.3||3.2||-234||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,179||6.6||6.4||5,386||6.5||6.4||-207||39000||P|
|Education and Training||8,648||10.9||8.8||7,894||9.5||8.1||+754||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||9,740||12.3||12.3||9,290||11.2||10.9||+450||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,353||1.7||1.7||1,261||1.5||1.5||+92||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||3,264||4.1||4.7||1,446||1.7||2.2||+1,818||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Joondalup in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (9,740 people or 12.3%)
- Construction (9,686 people or 12.3%)
- Education and Training (8,648 people or 10.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 28,074 people in total or 35.5% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Greater Perth employed 12.3% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.9% in Construction; and 8.8% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Joondalup and Greater Perth were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (12.3% compared to 9.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (10.9% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (2.9% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (4.4% compared to 5.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Joondalup were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-2,159 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+1,818 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-1,257 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (-1,131 resident workforce)