Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Joondalup's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Joondalup||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||12,693||15.2||15.3||12,526||15.9||16.2||+167|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,590||11.5||11.8||8,356||10.6||10.6||+1,234|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,672||13.9||12.1||11,874||15.0||13.0||-202|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,570||4.3||7.7||3,182||4.0||7.5||+388|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,186||1.4||1.7||1,172||1.5||1.7||+14|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Joondalup in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (21,153 people or 25.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (12,693 people or 15.2%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (11,672 people or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 45,518 people in total or 54.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 22.0% in Professionals; 15.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 12.1% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Joondalup and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.3% compared to 7.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (25.3% compared to 22.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (6.7% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (13.9% compared to 12.1%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Joondalup increased by 4,767 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Joondalup were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,609 persons)
- Managers (+1,382 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,234 persons)
- Sales Workers (-958 persons)