Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Kingston's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Kingston depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Kingston - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,822||11.9||12.0||7,865||11.2||11.4||+957|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,534||10.2||10.5||6,768||9.6||9.7||+766|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,012||10.8||11.2||6,864||9.8||10.1||+1,148|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,923||18.8||18.7||12,926||18.4||17.6||+997|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,301||9.9||9.2||7,323||10.4||10.2||-22|
|49 hours or more||9,841||13.3||13.7||9,964||14.2||15.2||-123|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Kingston's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Kingston and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (10.8% compared to 11.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.4% compared to 19.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.9% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (13.3% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Kingston increased by 1399 people (3.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Kingston between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,148 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+997 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+957 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+766 persons)