Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Kingston's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Kingston depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Kingston - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,132||11.2||11.7||8,822||11.9||12.0||+310|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,643||10.6||10.8||7,534||10.2||10.5||+1,109|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,242||11.4||11.6||8,012||10.8||11.2||+1,230|
|35 hours - 39 hours||16,804||20.7||20.8||13,923||18.8||18.7||+2,881|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,884||8.5||8.0||7,301||9.9||9.2||-417|
|49 hours or more||8,912||11.0||11.1||9,841||13.3||13.7||-929|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Kingston's resident workers in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.2% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.1% and 59.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Kingston and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.2% compared to 11.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.4% compared to 19.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.5% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (1.3% compared to 1.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Kingston increased by 3011 people (6.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Kingston between2016 and 2021 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,881 persons)
- None (+1,710 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,476 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,230 persons)