Ku-ring-gai Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Ku-ring-gai Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Ku-ring-gai Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,809||5.1||12.7||2,646||5.3||13.2||+163|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,966||7.2||10.4||3,482||6.9||9.5||+484|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||7,328||13.3||13.8||7,302||14.5||15.1||+26|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||634||1.2||6.1||504||1.0||6.4||+130|
|Inadequately described or not stated||974||1.8||1.8||886||1.8||1.8||+88|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Ku-ring-gai Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (21,590 people or 39.3%)
- Managers (11,587 people or 21.1%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (7,328 people or 13.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 40,505 people in total or 73.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers and 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Ku-ring-gai Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (39.3% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (21.1% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (5.1% compared to 12.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (2.8% compared to 8.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Ku-ring-gai Council area increased by 4,619 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Ku-ring-gai Council area were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,015 persons)
- Managers (+1,118 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+484 persons)
- Sales Workers (+405 persons)