There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the City of Kwinana than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Kwinana's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Kwinana or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Kwinana, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Kwinana - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||277||1.6||2.5||159||1.2||2.3||+118|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||2,441||14.5||14.1||1,802||14.2||13.8||+639|
|Architecture and Building||635||3.8||4.3||460||3.6||4.1||+175|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||207||1.2||1.6||167||1.3||1.5||+40|
|Management and Commerce||1,977||11.8||13.0||1,111||8.7||11.4||+866|
|Society and Culture||1,206||7.2||7.3||739||5.8||6.2||+467|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||809||4.8||3.7||530||4.2||3.4||+279|
|Mixed Field Programmes||16||0.1||0.1||5||0.0||0.1||+11|
|Not stated or inadequately described||470||2.8||2.5||504||4.0||3.2||-34|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Kwinana shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (2,441 people or 14.5%)
- Management and Commerce (1,977 people or 11.8%)
- Society and Culture (1,206 people or 7.2%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 5,624 people in total or 33.5% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 14.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 13.0% in Management and Commerce and 7.3% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the City of Kwinana and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (4.3% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (11.8% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (6.3% compared to 7.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (4.8% compared to 3.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Kwinana increased by 4,080 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Kwinana was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+866 resident workers)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+639 resident workers)
- Health (+533 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+467 resident workers)