City of Kwinana
Resident workers - Hours worked
42.6% of the resident workers in the City of Kwinana work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.6% in Western Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Kwinana's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Kwinana depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Kwinana||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,722||10.3||11.9||1,166||9.2||10.8||+556||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,499||8.9||9.9||1,007||7.9||9.2||+492||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,763||10.5||10.7||1,174||9.2||9.5||+589||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,638||21.7||17.2||2,486||19.5||15.8||+1,152||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,563||9.3||9.5||1,426||11.2||10.9||+137||22007|
|49 hours or more||2,441||14.5||17.3||2,203||17.3||19.6||+238||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Kwinana's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.5% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Kwinana and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.7% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.5% compared to 17.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.3% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.9% compared to 9.9%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Kwinana increased by 2,348 people (27.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Kwinana between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,152 people)
- 40 hours (+821 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+589 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+556 people)