42.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Kwinana work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.6% in Western Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Kwinana's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Kwinana depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Kwinana - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,722||10.3||11.9||1,166||9.2||10.8||+556|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,499||8.9||9.9||1,007||7.9||9.2||+492|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,763||10.5||10.7||1,174||9.2||9.5||+589|
|35 hours - 39 hours||3,638||21.7||17.2||2,486||19.5||15.8||+1,152|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,563||9.3||9.5||1,426||11.2||10.9||+137|
|49 hours or more||2,441||14.5||17.3||2,203||17.3||19.6||+238|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Kwinana's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Kwinana and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.3% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.9% compared to 9.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (21.7% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.5% compared to 17.3%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Kwinana increased by 2348 people (27.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Kwinana between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,152 persons)
- 40 hours (+821 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+589 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+556 persons)