In the City of Kwinana, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to Western Australia.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Kwinana - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||2,440||19.3||27.4||1,816||14.8||23.2||+624|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||1,242||9.8||10.8||1,014||8.2||9.8||+228|
|Certificate I and II Level||186||1.5||1.4||175||1.4||1.4||+11|
|Certificate III & IV Level||3,777||29.8||21.9||3,877||31.5||21.1||-100|
|Certificate Level, nfd||278||2.2||2.1||174||1.4||1.7||+104|
|Inadequately described or not stated||359||2.8||2.8||539||4.4||4.0||-180|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Kwinana in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 62.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 34.6% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Kwinana and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (19.3% compared to 27.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (29.8% compared to 21.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.8% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (34.6% compared to 33.6%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Kwinana between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+624 local workers)
- No qualification (-332 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+228 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+104 local workers)