Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Kwinana will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Kwinana;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Kwinana - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,978||23.5||16.4||3,395||27.6||16.8||-417|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,243||9.8||10.5||1,015||8.3||9.4||+228|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,241||9.8||12.9||1,242||10.1||14.3||-1|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,759||13.9||7.6||1,722||14.0||7.7||+37|
|Inadequately described or not stated||273||2.2||1.7||242||2.0||1.5||+31|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Kwinana in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,978 local workers or 23.5%)
- Professionals (1,762 local workers or 13.9%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (1,759 local workers or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,499 people in total or 51.3% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Western Australia employed 16.4% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 20.4% as Professionals and 7.6% as Machinery Operators And Drivers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Kwinana and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (23.5% compared to 16.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (13.9% compared to 20.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (13.9% compared to 7.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.8% compared to 12.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Kwinana between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-417 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+228 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+227 local workers)
- Professionals (+176 local workers)