35.0% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Launceston work 40 or more hours, compared to 36.6% in Tasmania.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Launceston's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Launceston depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Launceston - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Tasmania%||Number||%||Tasmania%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||3,736||13.6||13.2||3,643||12.9||12.5||+93|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3,108||11.3||11.1||3,051||10.8||10.7||+57|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3,740||13.6||13.3||3,353||11.8||11.9||+387|
|35 hours - 39 hours||5,752||20.9||19.7||5,616||19.8||19.2||+136|
|41 hours - 48 hours||2,321||8.4||8.7||2,697||9.5||9.5||-376|
|49 hours or more||3,157||11.5||12.5||3,566||12.6||13.2||-409|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Launceston's resident workers in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 55.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 42.0% and 56.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.6% compared to 13.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.9% compared to 19.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.1% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (11.5% compared to 12.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Launceston decreased by 1085 people (-6.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Launceston between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-436 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-409 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+387 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-376 persons)