Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Launceston residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Launceston, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Launceston are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Launceston - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||606||2.2||5.3||488||1.6||4.5||+118|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||376||1.4||1.6||378||1.2||1.6||-2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,341||8.5||7.6||2,364||7.7||6.8||-23|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,169||4.2||4.2||1,260||4.1||4.0||-91|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||362||1.3||1.4||434||1.4||1.4||-72|
|Financial and Insurance Services||739||2.7||2.1||932||3.1||2.3||-193|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||367||1.3||1.2||375||1.2||1.2||-8|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,250||4.5||4.7||1,198||3.9||4.4||+52|
|Administrative and Support Services||793||2.9||3.0||808||2.6||2.5||-15|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,459||5.3||7.8||1,917||6.3||8.4||-458|
|Education and Training||2,858||10.4||9.3||2,889||9.5||8.4||-31|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,559||16.6||14.2||3,664||12.0||11.2||+895|
|Arts and Recreation Services||480||1.7||1.9||455||1.5||1.5||+25|
|Industry not classified||938||3.4||3.4||622||2.0||1.8||+316|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Launceston in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,559 people or 16.6%)
- Retail Trade (3,400 people or 12.3%)
- Education and Training (2,858 people or 10.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 10,817 people in total or 39.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 14.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.9% in Retail Trade and 9.3% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (2.2% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (5.3% compared to 7.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (16.6% compared to 14.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (12.3% compared to 10.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Launceston were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+895 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-804 resident workforce)
- Public Administration and Safety (-458 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+316 resident workforce)