Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Launceston residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Launceston, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Launceston are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Launceston - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||996||3.1||5.3||606||2.2||5.3||+390|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||472||1.5||1.8||376||1.4||1.6||+96|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,673||8.2||7.6||2,341||8.5||7.6||+332|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,403||4.3||4.1||1,169||4.2||4.2||+234|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||338||1.0||1.0||362||1.3||1.4||-24|
|Financial and Insurance Services||765||2.4||1.9||739||2.7||2.1||+26|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||381||1.2||1.1||367||1.3||1.2||+14|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,519||4.7||5.1||1,250||4.5||4.7||+269|
|Administrative and Support Services||985||3.0||2.9||793||2.9||3.0||+192|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,471||4.5||7.3||1,459||5.3||7.8||+12|
|Education and Training||3,063||9.4||9.4||2,858||10.4||9.3||+205|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,358||19.6||16.4||4,559||16.6||14.2||+1,799|
|Arts and Recreation Services||531||1.6||1.8||480||1.7||1.9||+51|
|Industry not classified||924||2.8||2.8||938||3.4||3.4||-14|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Launceston in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,358 people or 19.6%)
- Retail Trade (3,495 people or 10.8%)
- Education and Training (3,063 people or 9.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 12,916 people in total or 39.8% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Tasmania employed 16.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.6% in Retail Trade and 9.4% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (19.6% compared to 16.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (4.5% compared to 7.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (3.1% compared to 5.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (10.8% compared to 9.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Launceston were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,799 resident workforce)
- Construction (+613 resident workforce)
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (+390 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+332 resident workforce)