Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Launceston's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Launceston||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,600||13.1||14.0||4,078||14.4||14.8||-478|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,505||12.7||12.4||3,341||11.8||11.1||+164|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||3,407||12.4||13.0||3,732||13.2||13.8||-325|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,828||6.6||6.4||1,923||6.8||6.7||-95|
|Inadequately described or not stated||430||1.6||1.7||376||1.3||1.5||+54|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Launceston in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,598 people or 20.3%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (3,600 people or 13.1%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (3,505 people or 12.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 12,703 people in total or 46.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Tasmania employed 18.8% in Professionals; 14.0% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 12.4% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (10.6% compared to 12.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (20.3% compared to 18.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (11.4% compared to 9.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (13.1% compared to 14.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Launceston decreased by 769 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Launceston were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-478 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-325 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+164 persons)
- Managers (-120 persons)