City of Launceston
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
In the City of Launceston, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Tasmania.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Launceston - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Tasmania||Number||%||Tasmania||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||8,172||23.8||22.6||7,391||21.0||19.8||+781|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||3,240||9.5||9.2||2,901||8.3||8.2||+339|
|Certificate I and II Level||589||1.7||1.8||624||1.8||1.8||-35|
|Certificate III & IV Level||7,730||22.6||24.0||7,714||22.0||23.1||+16|
|Certificate Level, nfd||806||2.4||2.3||509||1.4||1.4||+297|
|Inadequately described or not stated||929||2.7||2.9||1,316||3.7||4.1||-387|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Launceston in 2016 compared to Tasmania shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.9% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 37.4% had no qualifications, compared with 59.9% and 37.2% respectively for Tasmania.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Launceston and Tasmania were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (22.6% compared to 24.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (23.8% compared to 22.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.5% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Inadequately described or not stated (2.7% compared to 2.9%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Launceston between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-1,871 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+781 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+339 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+297 local workers)