In the City of Launceston, 21.4% of workers were Professionals, compared to 24.9% in Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Launceston will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Launceston;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Launceston - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||Number||%||Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,285||12.5||20.0||4,732||13.5||31.3||-447|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,470||13.0||0||4,115||11.7||0||+355|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||5,017||14.6||24.9||5,454||15.5||20.9||-437|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,897||5.5||16.6||2,106||6.0||15.1||-209|
|Inadequately described or not stated||501||1.5||2.5||464||1.3||1.6||+37|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Launceston in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (7,332 local workers or 21.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (5,017 local workers or 14.6%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (4,470 local workers or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 16,819 people in total or 49.0% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services workforce in the City of Launceston employed 13.2% as Professionals; 24.9% as Clerical and Administrative Workers and 0% as Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Launceston and Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (5.5% compared to 16.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.6% compared to 24.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Sales Workers (11.9% compared to 2.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (21.4% compared to 13.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Launceston between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-447 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-437 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+355 local workers)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-209 local workers)