Resident workers - Industry
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Lismore City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Lismore City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Lismore City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Lismore City - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,095||6.0||2.1||956||4.7||2.1||+139|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||150||0.8||0.9||135||0.7||1.0||+15|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,293||7.1||7.1||1,259||6.2||6.3||+34|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||559||3.1||4.7||576||2.9||4.6||-17|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||183||1.0||2.2||332||1.6||2.2||-149|
|Financial and Insurance Services||320||1.8||4.9||371||1.8||4.8||-51|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||218||1.2||1.8||243||1.2||1.5||-25|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||792||4.4||8.1||852||4.2||7.4||-60|
|Administrative and Support Services||572||3.1||3.5||521||2.6||3.1||+51|
|Public Administration and Safety||924||5.1||6.0||940||4.7||5.8||-16|
|Education and Training||2,023||11.1||8.4||2,087||10.4||7.5||-64|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||3,453||19.0||12.5||3,259||16.2||10.9||+194|
|Arts and Recreation Services||210||1.2||1.5||245||1.2||1.4||-35|
|Industry not classified||654||3.6||4.7||310||1.5||2.3||+344|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Lismore City in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (3,453 people or 19.0%)
- Retail Trade (2,279 people or 12.5%)
- Education and Training (2,023 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 7,755 people in total or 42.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade and 8.4% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Lismore City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (19.0% compared to 12.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (6.0% compared to 2.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.4% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.8% compared to 4.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Lismore City were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+344 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-276 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-228 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+194 resident workforce)