In the Lismore City, the workforce has a lower proportion with University qualifications compared to New South Wales.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Lismore City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||5,600||27.9||32.6||5,054||24.9||27.9||+546|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,178||10.8||11.1||1,921||9.4||10.5||+257|
|Certificate I and II Level||370||1.8||1.2||404||2.0||1.4||-34|
|Certificate III & IV Level||4,539||22.6||18.7||4,309||21.2||18.8||+230|
|Certificate Level, nfd||559||2.8||2.3||405||2.0||1.9||+154|
|Inadequately described or not stated||587||2.9||2.9||951||4.7||4.5||-364|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Lismore City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 66.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 31.1% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Lismore City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (27.9% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (22.6% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (1.8% compared to 1.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate Level, nfd (2.8% compared to 2.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Lismore City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-1,047 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+546 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+257 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+230 local workers)