Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Liverpool City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Liverpool City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Liverpool City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Liverpool City - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||619||0.7||2.0||651||0.8||2.1||-32|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||845||0.9||1.0||711||0.8||0.9||+134|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,488||5.0||6.2||4,739||5.6||7.1||-251|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||7,367||8.2||4.6||6,557||7.8||4.7||+810|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,203||1.3||1.8||1,259||1.5||2.2||-56|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,498||5.0||5.3||3,819||4.6||4.9||+679|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,213||1.3||1.7||1,125||1.3||1.8||+88|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||5,070||5.6||8.9||4,047||4.8||8.1||+1,023|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,905||3.2||3.2||2,884||3.4||3.5||+21|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,983||6.7||6.1||5,280||6.3||6.0||+703|
|Education and Training||7,125||7.9||8.7||5,660||6.7||8.4||+1,465|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||12,455||13.8||14.4||9,586||11.4||12.5||+2,869|
|Arts and Recreation Services||944||1.0||1.4||1,008||1.2||1.5||-64|
|Industry not classified||5,090||5.7||4.6||5,436||6.5||4.7||-346|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Liverpool City in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (12,455 people or 13.8%)
- Retail Trade (8,925 people or 9.9%)
- Construction (7,633 people or 8.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 29,013 people in total or 32.3% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 14.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.0% in Retail Trade and 8.6% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Liverpool City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (8.2% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.6% compared to 8.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (8.2% compared to 5.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.7% compared to 2.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Liverpool City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,869 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,465 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,023 resident workforce)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (+810 resident workforce)