Livingstone Shire Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Livingstone Shire Council area’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Livingstone Shire Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Livingstone Shire Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Livingstone Shire Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Livingstone Shire Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||623||4.0||2.8||571||3.9||2.7||+52||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||309||2.0||1.1||330||2.2||1.2||-21||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,123||7.3||7.3||1,113||7.6||7.0||+10||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||616||4.0||5.1||623||4.2||5.3||-7||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||95||0.6||1.2||99||0.7||1.2||-4||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||201||1.3||2.5||247||1.7||2.7||-46||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||252||1.6||2.0||239||1.6||1.8||+13||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||554||3.6||6.3||596||4.0||6.5||-42||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||478||3.1||3.5||334||2.3||3.2||+144||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||986||6.4||6.6||959||6.5||6.7||+27||39000||P|
|Education and Training||1,674||10.9||9.0||1,430||9.7||7.9||+244||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,759||11.4||13.0||1,508||10.2||11.9||+251||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||176||1.1||1.6||139||0.9||1.4||+37||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||532||3.5||4.3||335||2.3||2.4||+197||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window)(informed decisions).
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Livingstone Shire Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,759 people or 11.4%)
- Education and Training (1,674 people or 10.9%)
- Construction (1,494 people or 9.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 4,927 people in total or 32.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.0% in Education and Training; and 9.0% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Livingstone Shire Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (9.5% compared to 2.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Education and Training (10.9% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.6% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.7% compared to 6.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Livingstone Shire Council area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-342 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+251 resident workforce)
- Mining (+246 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+244 resident workforce)