Livingstone Shire Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Technicians and Trades Workers in the Livingstone Shire Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Livingstone Shire Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Livingstone Shire Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,802||18.2||14.3||2,632||17.9||14.9||+170|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,752||11.4||11.3||1,429||9.7||10.0||+323|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,939||12.6||13.6||1,910||13.0||14.7||+29|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,569||10.2||6.9||1,608||10.9||7.3||-39|
|Inadequately described or not stated||249||1.6||1.6||300||2.0||1.8||-51|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Livingstone Shire Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,802 people or 18.2%)
- Professionals (2,387 people or 15.5%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (1,939 people or 12.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 7,128 people in total or 46.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Queensland employed 14.3% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 19.8% in Professionals and 13.6% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Livingstone Shire Council area and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (15.5% compared to 19.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (18.2% compared to 14.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (10.2% compared to 6.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (12.6% compared to 13.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Livingstone Shire Council area increased by 691 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Livingstone Shire Council area were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+323 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+170 persons)
- Professionals (+102 persons)
- Labourers (+84 persons)