Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in Logan City than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Logan City's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Logan City or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Logan City, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||1,390||1.1||1.7||1,184||0.9||1.5||+206||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||15,257||11.6||11.6||14,951||11.7||11.6||+306||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||6,841||5.2||4.8||6,021||4.7||4.6||+820||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,323||1.0||1.5||1,172||0.9||1.4||+151||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||16,799||12.7||13.5||13,259||10.4||11.7||+3,540||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||10,081||7.6||7.9||7,549||5.9||6.6||+2,532||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||4,927||3.7||4.0||4,118||3.2||3.7||+809||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||149||0.1||0.1||79||0.1||0.1||+70||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,829||2.9||2.6||4,914||3.9||3.3||-1,085||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Logan City shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (16,799 people or 12.7%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (15,257 people or 11.6%)
- Society and Culture (10,081 people or 7.6%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 42,137 people in total or 31.9% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.5% in Management and Commerce; 11.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 7.9% in Society and Culture.
The major difference between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of Logan City and Queensland was:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Health (5.2% compared to 7.7%)
The number of resident workers in Logan City increased by 4,653 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Logan City were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+3,540 people)
- Society and Culture (+2,532 people)
- Health (+1,433 people)
- Education (+1,265 people)