Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Logan City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||18,801||21.1||25.1||14,342||17.2||21.5||+4,459|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||9,663||10.8||10.9||7,343||8.8||9.3||+2,320|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,289||1.4||1.3||1,467||1.8||1.5||-178|
|Certificate III & IV Level||20,995||23.6||23.0||17,758||21.4||21.6||+3,237|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,994||2.2||2.0||1,544||1.9||1.7||+450|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,440||2.7||2.7||3,485||4.2||3.8||-1,045|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the Logan City in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 38.1% had no qualifications, compared with 62.3% and 35.0% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the Logan City and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (21.1% compared to 25.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (38.1% compared to 35.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.6% compared to 23.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate Level, nfd (2.2% compared to 2.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the Logan City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+4,459 local workers)
- No qualification (-3,297 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+3,237 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+2,320 local workers)