There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the City of Mandurah than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Mandurah's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Mandurah or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Mandurah, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Mandurah - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||Number||%||Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||424||1.4||3.6||273||1.0||0||+151|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||4,703||15.2||10.4||3,968||14.3||8.0||+735|
|Architecture and Building||1,601||5.2||1.6||1,394||5.0||0||+207|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||434||1.4||10.0||387||1.4||16.5||+47|
|Management and Commerce||3,028||9.8||6.4||2,415||8.7||6.4||+613|
|Society and Culture||2,085||6.7||1.6||1,398||5.0||1.6||+687|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,430||4.6||3.2||1,148||4.1||3.7||+282|
|Mixed Field Programmes||26||0.1||0||11||0.0||0||+15|
|Not stated or inadequately described||705||2.3||3.6||1,008||3.6||2.1||-303|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Mandurah shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (4,703 people or 15.2%)
- Management and Commerce (3,028 people or 9.8%)
- Society and Culture (2,085 people or 6.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 9,816 people in total or 31.6% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing workforce in the City of Mandurah employed 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 6.4% in Management and Commerce and 1.6% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the City of Mandurah and the Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (1.4% compared to 10.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (6.7% compared to 1.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (15.2% compared to 10.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (6.6% compared to 2.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Mandurah increased by 3,310 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Mandurah was for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+735 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+687 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+613 resident workers)
- Health (+599 resident workers)