Construction employs more of the City of Mandurah's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Mandurah residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Mandurah, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Mandurah are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Mandurah - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||242||0.8||2.5||188||0.6||2.3||+54|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||375||1.2||1.2||315||1.1||1.1||+60|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,183||7.0||6.4||1,951||6.5||5.6||+232|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,119||3.6||4.6||954||3.2||4.3||+165|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||267||0.9||1.0||242||0.8||1.0||+25|
|Financial and Insurance Services||472||1.5||2.4||431||1.4||2.4||+41|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||585||1.9||1.7||592||2.0||1.7||-7|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,123||3.6||6.4||1,077||3.6||6.9||+46|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,065||3.4||3.3||925||3.1||3.0||+140|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,561||5.0||6.2||1,378||4.6||6.0||+183|
|Education and Training||2,652||8.5||8.7||2,104||7.0||7.6||+548|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||3,649||11.8||11.7||2,734||9.2||9.9||+915|
|Arts and Recreation Services||385||1.2||1.6||317||1.1||1.3||+68|
|Industry not classified||1,319||4.2||4.6||615||2.1||2.1||+704|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Mandurah in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (3,754 people or 12.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (3,649 people or 11.8%)
- Retail Trade (3,621 people or 11.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 11,024 people in total or 35.5% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, the Western Australia workforce in the City of Mandurah employed 9.8% in Construction; 11.7% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.5% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Mandurah and the Western Australia workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Mining (9.2% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.6% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (12.1% compared to 9.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (11.7% compared to 9.5%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Mandurah were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-930 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+915 resident workforce)
- Mining (+895 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+704 resident workforce)