Employment by industry (FTE)
In Maribyrnong City, Health Care and Social Assistance is the largest employer, generating 5,792 FTE jobs in 2017/18.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Maribyrnong City.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Maribyrnong City's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2003/04 to 2017/18|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||123||0.3||3.5||52||0.2||3.7||+71||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||879||2.4||1.3||113||0.4||1.0||+767||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,436||6.6||5.7||1,547||5.0||5.6||+890||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||3,246||8.8||5.6||2,547||8.3||5.2||+699||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||455||1.2||2.2||545||1.8||2.7||-89||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||623||1.7||3.9||382||1.2||4.0||+241||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||597||1.6||1.7||422||1.4||1.6||+175||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,787||4.8||9.6||835||2.7||7.3||+952||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||807||2.2||2.9||936||3.0||3.3||-129||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,742||4.7||5.0||1,251||4.1||4.8||+490||24400||P|
|Education and Training||3,687||10.0||7.9||2,623||8.5||7.3||+1,064||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||5,792||15.7||11.2||3,743||12.1||9.0||+2,049||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||631||1.7||1.6||339||1.1||1.5||+292||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2018. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Maribyrnong City in 2017/18 shows the three largest industries were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (5,792 full-time equivalent local workers or 15.7%)
- Retail Trade (5,361 full-time equivalent local workers or 14.5%)
- Education and Training (3,687 full-time equivalent local workers or 10.0%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 14,841 people in total or 40.2% of local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 11.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.3% in Retail Trade; and 7.9% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Retail Trade (14.5% compared to 9.3%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.7% compared to 11.2%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Construction (4.9% compared to 10.7%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.8% compared to 9.6%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in Maribyrnong City increased by 6,026 between 2003/04 and 2017/18.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2003/04 and 2017/18 in Maribyrnong City were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-2,699 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,049 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+1,064 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+952 full-time equivalent local workers)