Resident workers - Hours worked
42.9% of the resident workers in Maribyrnong City work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Maribyrnong City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Maribyrnong City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||4,056||9.7||12.0||3,129||9.0||11.4||+927||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||4,835||11.6||10.5||3,601||10.4||9.7||+1,234||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,387||10.5||11.2||3,234||9.3||10.1||+1,153||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,500||20.4||18.7||6,814||19.7||17.6||+1,686||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,020||9.7||9.2||3,761||10.8||10.2||+259||22007|
|49 hours or more||5,325||12.8||13.7||4,850||14.0||15.2||+475||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Maribyrnong City's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.0% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 63.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.4% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.6% compared to 10.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.5% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (9.7% compared to 12.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Maribyrnong City increased by 3,737 people (16.5%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Maribyrnong City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,686 people)
- 40 hours (+1,317 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,234 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,153 people)