39.6% of the resident workers (Education and Training) in Maribyrnong City work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.0% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Maribyrnong City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Maribyrnong City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Maribyrnong - Education and Training||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||504||13.2||15.1||381||13.5||14.8||+123|
|16 hours - 24 hours||429||11.2||12.9||300||10.6||12.5||+129|
|25 hours - 34 hours||462||12.1||13.0||303||10.7||12.0||+159|
|35 hours - 39 hours||766||20.0||17.7||556||19.7||16.9||+210|
|41 hours - 48 hours||351||9.2||8.8||293||10.4||10.2||+58|
|49 hours or more||564||14.7||14.0||417||14.8||14.1||+147|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Maribyrnong City's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.9% of the resident workers in Education and Training worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 44.4% and 54.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Education and Training) of Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.2% compared to 15.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.2% compared to 12.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.0% compared to 17.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (15.7% compared to 14.2%)
The number of the resident workers (Education and Training) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Maribyrnong City increased by 569 people (33.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Education and Training) in Maribyrnong City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+210 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+159 persons)
- 40 hours (+154 persons)
- 49 hours or more (+147 persons)