Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Maribyrnong City's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||4,168||10.0||13.1||3,777||10.9||13.9||+391|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||4,338||10.4||10.6||3,235||9.3||9.3||+1,103|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||5,309||12.7||13.3||5,011||14.5||14.4||+298|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,105||5.1||5.8||2,073||6.0||6.1||+32|
|Inadequately described or not stated||765||1.8||1.7||901||2.6||2.2||-136|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Maribyrnong City in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (11,970 people or 28.7%)
- Managers (5,585 people or 13.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (5,309 people or 12.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 22,864 people in total or 54.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.3% in Professionals; 13.5% in Managers and 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (28.7% compared to 23.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.0% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Sales Workers (8.9% compared to 9.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (5.1% compared to 5.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Maribyrnong City increased by 6,981 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Maribyrnong City were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,460 persons)
- Managers (+1,455 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,103 persons)
- Sales Workers (+804 persons)