The Age Structure of an industry's local workers is a key component to understanding the role and function of that industry in the Maribyrnong City. It is an indicator of the age of the industry and how long it has been established in the area, as well as the possible challenges in expanding that industry in the future.
For example an area with young local workers may be more mobile and likely to change jobs/industries in the future while an industry with an older local workers may face succession planning issues and challenges in attracting new staff.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers age structure|
|City of Maribyrnong - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Ten year age groups (years)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|15 to 24 years||6,654||15.6||13.8||5,945||16.0||13.9||+709|
|25 to 34 years||10,846||25.4||23.9||9,150||24.6||23.8||+1,696|
|35 to 44 years||9,528||22.3||22.8||8,253||22.1||22.1||+1,275|
|45 to 54 years||8,242||19.3||20.1||7,628||20.5||21.3||+614|
|55 to 64 years||5,873||13.8||14.7||5,156||13.8||14.6||+717|
|65 years and over||1,527||3.6||4.8||1,134||3.0||4.2||+393|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the age structure of the workforce in the Maribyrnong City in 2021compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people in the younger age groups (15 to 44 years) and a lower proportion of people in the older age groups (45 years and over).
Overall, 63.3% of the workforce was aged under 45 years, compared to 60.4% for Victoria. 36.7% were aged 45 years and over, compared to 39.6% for Victoria.
The major differences between the age structure of the workforce in the Maribyrnong City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers aged 15 to 24 years (15.6% compared to 13.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers aged 25 to 34 years (25.4% compared to 23.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers aged 55 to 64 years (13.8% compared to 14.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers aged 65 years and over (3.6% compared to 4.8%)
The largest changes in the age structure of the workforce in the Maribyrnong City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- 25 to 34 years (+1,696 local workers)
- 35 to 44 years (+1,275 local workers)
- 55 to 64 years (+717 local workers)
- 15 to 24 years (+709 local workers)